Monday, June 20, 2011

Birth Plan...Yes it's already done

Our Wishes for Childbirth - Ashley------ & Shane------
Due Date:February 1, 2012
Patient of: -------
Scheduled to deliver at: ------
Support people allowed in room during birth/delivery are: Shane , Alysha , Messina and Chastity . I would prefer that no students, interns, residents or non-essential personnel be present during my labor or the birth of my daughter/son.


Thank you so much for being a part of this special time for us. These are our wishes and hopes for our birth experience. We understand no delivery can be completely planned. In a nutshell, this is what we’d like: We are planning an unmedicated or basic medicated, vaginal delivery. This is our second child and second semi-natural delivery. We prefer as little medical intervention as possible. We appreciate any and all support you have to offer. We are breastfeeding and [Boy] NOT circumcising. We hope to keep baby with mom at all times. Thank you for helping us reach these goals.

Labor
Prefer to walk and try different positions (birth ball, squatting, etc)
      -Please, feel free to recommend anything
If avalible Hydrotherapy with tub or shower with Support People present
I do not want an IV unless I become dehydrated
Heplock for GBS antibiotics
I would like to be able to have fluids and light foods by mouth throughout the first stage of labor.


Atmosphere:
prefer to keep it dim and quiet
I will be bringing my own music to play during labor.
I would like to wear glasses at all times
I do not wish to have continuous fetal monitoring unless it is required by the condition of the baby.


Labor Augmentation/Induction
If labor is not progressing, I would like to have the amniotic membrane ruptured before other methods are used to augment labor.
I would prefer to be allowed to try changing position and other natural methods (walking) before Pitocin is administered.


Anesthesia/Pain Medication
I realize that many pain medications exist. I'll ask for them if I need them.
Before considering an epidural, and if the situation warrants, I would like to try an injection of narcotic pain relief (Nubain, Demerol, Stadol or similar).

The following medication/s are not to be given to me for any reason: Cervidil, Generic Cervidil, Cytotec.

Cesarean
Unless absolutely necessary, I would like to avoid a Cesarean.
If a Cesarean delivery is indicated, I would like to be fully informed and to participate in the decision-making process.
So I can view the birth, I would like the screen lowered just before delivery of the baby.
If the baby is not in distress, the baby should be given to Shane Harless immediately after birth.


Episiotomy
I would prefer not to have an episiotomy unless absolutely required for the baby's safety.
I am hoping to protect the perineum. I am practicing ahead of time by squatting, doing Kegel exercises and perineal massage.
I would appreciate guidance in when to push and when to stop pushing so the perineum can stretch.
If possible, I would like to use perineal massage to help avoid the need for an episiotomy.


Delivery
I would like to be allowed to choose the position in which I give birth, including squatting.
NOT ON MY BACK
I would like to use the mirror to watch the baby
Atmosphere: dim lights and quiet room for delivery
Place baby on my chest immediately after delivery. Cleaning and umbilical cord can be taken care of from my chest.


Immediately After Delivery
I would like Shane to cut the cord after it stops pulsating. We are planning to collect our umbilical cord blood for donation and a collection kit has been provided for this activity.
I would like to hold the baby while I deliver the placenta and any tissue repairs are made. Will begin breastfeeding before s/he is taken for any reason.
I would like to delay and/or avoid completly the eye medication for our child until a couple of hours after birth.
I would like to have the baby evaluated and bathed in my presence.
I plan to keep the baby near me following birth and would appreciate if the evaluation of the baby can be done with the baby on my abdomen, with both of us covered by a warm blanket, unless there is an unusual situation.
If the baby must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, Shane, my fiance, or someone I appoint, will accompany him/her at all times.


Postpartum
Unless required for health reasons, I do not wish to be separated from my baby, all tests and bathing can be done in my room.
In the event the baby MUST be removed from my room, I would like to know why and for how long. Shane or another person appointed by myself will go with the baby and stay with him/her.
I would like to have the baby "room in" and be with me at all times including nights.


Breastfeeding
I plan to breastfeed the baby and would like to begin nursing very shortly after birth.
Unless medically necessary, I do not wish to have any bottles given to our child, including formulas, glucose water or plain water.
If bottle feeding is necessary, I wish to be informed of the reasons and have the ability to deny such request.
No pacifier/binkie
No glucose


Circumcision
We will not being circumcising our baby in the event we have a boy.
Photo/Video
My friends, family  or fiance will take pictures and/or video before, during and after L&D.

Other
Only visitors during delivery are to be Shane, Alysha and Chastity.
For at least two hours after delivery I would like no visitors with the exception of Shane Harless, my daughter Kaylee and my Support People.
I would like my daughter, Kaylee, to be able to visit me and the baby in the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment